Movement in the Classroom

 Movement in the classroom is so important, even at the secondary level.  I have my classes for 80 minutes every other day and that is a really long time to be sitting still.  When I have a double period I always allow for some movement even if it's just getting up to work with a partner on classwork or when I use Math Workshop.  In this post I am going to talk about two activities that are my favorite to use when incorporating movement.

Quiz Quiz Trade

This one (I feel) is a little less common and maybe unknown.  I discovered it years ago online, but it wasn't until the last few years that I started using it more.  


Prep:

In order to play "Quiz, quiz, trade" you need to prepare some sort of flashcards. The template I use is set up so that on one side you type a question or problem and the other side you type the answer and then you fold the cards in half.  My largest class is 27 students so I usually make 30 cards for a class set (3 on a page x 10).  After creating the cards, you just need to print a set on colored paper, cut and fold! This activity works best for fluency topics that can be easily answered without requiring any work.  Some topics I have used it for are number properties, laws of exponents and finding slope from a graph.

Game Play:

To play, students stand up, walk around and partner up with somebody.  If there are an odd amount of students, the teacher can join in or there can be a group of 3.  Then they quiz each other.  Partner A will hold up their card (with the problem showing and while looking at the answer) to Partner B.  Partner B will answer the question/problem.  If they are correct Partner A will let them know, but if they are wrong, Partner A will coach them and try to help them get the right answer.  Then they will switch roles and Partner B will quiz Partner A.  After both have answered, they TRADE cards and find a new partner.  The beauty of this is that they can go back to the same partner later because the cards have been shuffled around.  I love joining in, too, and believe it or not students will seek me out!  

Benefits:

This activity definitely incorporates movement, but it is also a cooperative learning activity that builds confidence, encourages greater participation and results in more thoughtful discussions and conversations.


Scavenger Hunts

Scavenger hunts are always a fan favorite!


I try to incorporate scavenger hunts as a cumulative review for each unit I teach. 

Prep:

To prepare a scavenger hunt, I usually put two on a page and label each with letters.  You can use numbers, shapes, etc.  Then you create a problem and put the answer on the next card labeled "Previous Answer".  Then create another problem and continue the process.  The last question you create should have the answer to it on the first question you created.  Make sure that the letter order is random and that you keep a key with the order of the letters for easy checking.  Then print, laminate, cut and hang up around the room.

Game Play:

Assign pairs or groups of students a letter to start at and have them complete the problem and find the answer.  I like to put some out in the hallway, too, and then I stand in the doorway so that I can monitor both in the room and outside the room.  I give the students clipboards so that they can show all of their work and record the order of the letters so I can check them easily.  From my experiences this can take a whole period (about 40 minutes), depending on the topic.

Benefits:

This is a great activity to keep students moving for an extended period of time.  It also encourages collaboration between students and helps build problem-solving skills.  In addition it is self-checking as students know they are wrong if they can't find their answer and they will have to go back and solve it again.  Students also tend to enjoy a change of pace.

Check out my Algebra 1 Scavenger Hunt Bundle, which currently has 8 different topics.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thin-Slicing Tasks

Math Workshop

My Blog Journey